The capital of Germany is a place that is definitely worth a visit and has something for everyone! From the hundreds of museums, galleries and events you can visit, the history you see and feel from walking around the city to the vibrant nightlife which is regularly said to be the best in Europe. This place is perfect for that solo traveller who likes history and culture and also perfect for that traveller who likes a great night scene and is travelling the world making new friends as they go.
How to get there?
Flights from London to Berlin range from £40.00 – £75.00 Return and the main airlines are Ryanair and EasyJet with a flight time of 1 hour and 45 minutes, but as you can imagine, you can get there from anywhere in Europe for a very reasonable fee. Public transport is very accessible and well signposted so we recommend using the public transport and your feet in your stay there.
Where to stay?
For the ‘backpacker’ experience, hostels can be as inexpensive as £45 – £60 for four nights, here is one we recommend that is right in the centre of Berlin;
However, as long as you don’t mind paying a bit more, you can get a hotel room for between £150 and £200 for four nights currently and as this hotel is right in the centre, we recommend;
Top 5 things to do
- Brandenburg Gate – The grand archway and gate that is a must see while in Berlin, probably one of the most famous pieces of architecture in Europe.
- The Berlin Wall Memorial – Not only part of Berlins history and a landmark which is a must see, there are also nearby parks which are great for walking, eating and soaking up the atmosphere.
- Museum Island – A history fanatics dream! A great place to be a real tourist for the afternoon with its abundance of museums, events and food places on offer.
- Berliner Fernsehturm – The large iconic TV tower you see in the photos when you think of Berlin in fact has a viewing platform and is highly recommended. Booking may be required.
- Pfaueninsel – An island in the river that welcomes day trippers, different to what you would usually find in a city with peacocks, other forms of wildlife and a castle, worth the trip.
As well as the top 5 things to do that is mentioned above, we recommend checking out the cities bars and restaurants. The atmosphere, music and people make it great plus in Berlin, they know how to have a great evening! Also, we recommend while you are there, try their Döner Kebap (before or after your night out, your choice!) as it tastes fantastic!
Current travel restrictions
Currently there are no travel restrictions in place between the UK and Germany, but always make sure that you stay safe and keep up to date with news as things could change.
While you are there, if you are planning to visit numerous attractions, use public transport including the hop on – hop off tour, we recommend getting a Berlin City Card for approximately £98.50, plus with this you get fantastic discounts in shops and more…
Based on one person, 22nd – 26th October 2020
Flights – £50.00 Return (via ixploring.com with Ryanair)
Hotel – £55.00 (MEININGER Hotel Berlin via the link above)
Berlin City Card – £98.50
Travel Insurance – £2.95 (Including Advanced COVID Cover)
Total Trip Cost;
Our ixploring.com rating…
Although it is not the cheapest long weekend getaway you will find, it is worth every penny. From the amount of sights and tourist spots to see for a very reasonable cost, the atmosphere of the city, day and night and how welcome and safe you will feel, you can go back time and time again and not get bored.. this trip is perfect for solo travellers and couples alike and because of that, we rate this trip;
References – Feature Photo (Berlin) – commons.wikimedia.org, In-text photo (Berlin Transport) – pikist.com